Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Do you like "natto"?

I like natto very much.
Natto is a one of Japanese unique food.
It seems to avoid eating in foreign country because of the stickiness and the smell.
Even in Japan, some people like it very much and others don't.

By the way, this "natto" is very popular in Japan just now.
Natto sells out at almost of supermarket these days.
I went to supermarket to buy natto, but I couldn't get it today.
So I asked clerk about natto and he said that because number of stock is controlled, natto sells out soon.
To make matters worse, we could get natto about 98 yen before but today price card said it costs 128 yen.
It's so serious for me!!

What do you think about this situation?
I know this reason.
The other day, natto was taken up at Japanese famous TV program.
The program said that if you eat natto every morning and every night, you can success in your diet.
Also said that important thing is stirring natto very well and leaving it for 20 minites before eating.
Now many of Japanese people (especially Japanese housewife) believe this information as if they believe in a religion.
In the past, agar sold out alike this situation.

Producers of natto is very busy now, but natto isn't enough.
People like natto very much (including me) is very impatient.

1 comment:

machekku said...

Natto.. Honestly, I'm afraid to try it :) But maybe I should one day. Yeah, next time I visit Japan, I have to give it a try :) But I'm soooo afraid since the first time I heard how it is made.

And now about the current situation...
It's probably just temporary. I guess that - sooner or later - it will get back to normal. People who don't like natto but heard about it on TV will stop eating it after some time.

BTW: What does it mean that natto stock is controlled? I think I understand the sentence, but still don't get it. Who controls it?

Hmm.. and I have a question. Maybe it sounds stupid, but... how hard would it be to make natto at home? Buy beans and then do something with them? I don't know exactly how to make natto and how hard would it be, but maybe it would be possible?

(Note at the end: read again your last two sentences. I can understand what you mean, but they don't sound correct)